Southwestern Chicken Skillet

During the year and half that I was planning my wedding, I was religiously on The Knot message boards in both Chicago and Detroit getting ideas for planning my wedding. During this time is when my food blog was born. One "Knottie" created a food blog, and many more followed suit. To me, most of them offered the kind of basic, but super delicious meals that everyone's mothers cooked us growing up. This meal to me, is one of those. I got this idea from Amy Horgan's blog, The Horgan's Cooking Blog and Patrick and I both really loved it! It makes a quick and delicious weeknight meal and is a family favorite! 
olive oil spray
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into chunks
taco, fajita or your favorite Latin inspired seasonings, to taste (I love Penzey's Northwoods Fire for this)
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice 
1 (10 oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles 
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1/2 c. sliced green onions 
1 cup cheddar cheese ( I used 2% milk sharp cheddar)

Toppings ideas: 
sour cream
black olives
additional sliced green onions
hot sauce

1. Season chicken with seasoning and toss to coat. Heat oil spray in a large, nonstick skillet and add the chicken. Cook until just cooked through.
2. Add the rice and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a simmer.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender. Remove from heat and top with cheddar cheese. Cover and let cheese melt. Serve with toppings and enjoy!

Serves 4. 

Comments