Portobello Mushroom Fajitas with Cilantro Sauce

When I tell people about this recipe, they don't know what to think...mushroom fajitas? Well I have been known to eat fish tacos (an idea my own Mother can't get used to) so maybe that's why I could do it. I got this recipe from a Weight Watcher's cookbook that I got from a library book sale, and I've been making it for years. It's delicious and perfect for meatless Mondays! 

1 1/2 medium bell pepper (yellow or green) cut into strips
1/2 c. cilantro sprigs
4 oz. Neufchatel cheese or light cream cheese 
1/4 c. tomatillo salsa
1 small red onion, cut into slices 
2 packages portobello mushrooms, sliced 
cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste, or use a fav fajita seasoning
2 tsp. olive oil
12 small fajita size tortillas

1. Place 1/2 bell pepper, cilantro, cheese and salsa in a food processor, chopper, or blender. Process until smooth. Set aside.
2. Heat oil over med-hi heat. Add pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Sprinkle all with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste (I make an even layer of each of the top and that's all I need). Saute 8 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat, set aside.
4. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Top with the veggies and 1 Tbsp. of the cilantro sauce.

Serves 6.
1 serving=2 tortillas topped with veggie mixture and 1 Tbsp. of the sauce



Comments