Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

This recipe is a comfort from growing up. My Mom would always use the leftover ham to make it. I had never made it myself until now, and I forgot just how delicious it was! There is no science to this recipe, just eyeball the amounts of potatoes and ham to feed the number of people you need to.
This meal is another one that I grew up with. My Mom would always make it with our ham leftovers. Since Patrick and I love this dish and making a ham for our small family is not always feasible, we have been known to buy ham just to make this! Please forgive the lack of quantities in this recipe, I usually work with how much ham I have and when it comes to the potatoes, I just slice and add as needed in order to use the ham I have. 
leftover sliced ham
Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 c. milk
pepper, to taste

1. Melt butter in a saucepan and add flour, stirring with a whisk. Add milk and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens. Add pepper to taste.
2. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and add a bit of sauce to the dish, just enough to cover the bottom. Make a layer of potatoes, then a layer of ham and continue to alternate (I made 2 layers of each).
3. Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the layered potatoes and ham. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Comments

  1. I am so glad I just found your blog! I'm loving the "stiff drinks" page!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment